Monday, October 09, 2006

Borrowing a Book Meme:

I had a wonderful day with Angie yesterday. Today she was unexpectedly ill and the stress just kind of mounted from there.

So instead of ranting, which may come later, I thought I would do an interesting Book Meme I read on another Blog.

1. One book that changed your life:

Errr. I don't know. The Mercy of Thin Air was great as was Love in the Driest Season. They both touched me. But I don't know that I've ever read any book and had it completely turn my life in a different direction. Maybe Equal Rites and Witches Abroad tapped into my inner feistiness.

2. One book that you've read more than once:

Many. As a kid I would read and re-read favorites. Nowadays, I like to read the LOTR trilogy every year, however, my editions are mia (and hopefully not destroyed in the basement). I've recently re-read Sorcery or Cecelia and the Enchanted Chocolate Pot.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
It would be something like War and Peace, which I actually liked. Something a bit epic and long to keep me occupied.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Guards! Guards! Parts of it make me laugh out loud every time I read it. I think I loaned it to a friend.

5. One book that made you cry:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I had to re-read the cemetary scene several times before I actually acepted what happened. And the reaction of the family upon Harry's return. I know, I'm a nerd. To be fair, I read it perhaps a year to a year and a half after my nephew died.

6. One book you wish had been written:

I wish there were more books with female heroes. Or at least one with the popularity of Harry Potter. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else. Maybe a manual on world peace. Something so compelling it convinces everyone to just get along already.

7. One book you wish had never been written:
Anything that creates divisions between people for arbitrary reasons or intentionally denigrates a group of people. I don't generally read books with those themes so I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

8. One book you're currently reading: Well, I started Little Earthquakes tonight, read the first chapter and decided that I was not up for reading it at the moment. I think I'll switch to the Constant Princess tomorrow.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
The Orange Girl by Jostein Gaardner. It's the one I'm actually seeking and when I couldn't find it, I bought two other books by the same author instead.

10. Some favorite books not on this list:
Anything else by Terry Pratchett
The Great Alta Series by Jane Yolen
The Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer
Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

Too many others to name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home