Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Reading Frenzy

I can't actually bring myself to look at any of my cross stitch. I was happily stitching on JG the night of the fire. I know I packed it away and even zipped up the bag it's in, but I get a nervous feeling in my stomach when I think of checking on the damage to my stitchery. There was soot inside the plastic cabinet holding some of my silk fibers. Right now we just don't have a clean spot for me to safely spread out my fabrics, fibers and other supplies to determine the extent of the damage.

The result of this situation is that I am reading like a woman possessed for the first time in years. I'll update the margins when the hotel connection is a bit better, but for now, I'll just tell you what I've been reading:

Pre-fire:

Ancestors of Avalon by Diana Paxson--Nice story, but I wanted more details. The good was that it wasn't predictable. The annoying is that there was an editorial error--an inconsistency between the cast of characters and their descriptions in the front of the novel, the early portion of the novel, and the end. Not about something that goes to the heart of the novel, but just significant enough to annoy me.

Sourcery or Cecelia and the Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevener--One of my favorite books at the moment. It is an epistolary novel set in (I believe) Regency England, well, the England of Jane Austin. However, in this world, Magic works and is even part of Society. There are several mysteries about which two cousins decide they "must do something" while one of them tries to enjoy (or survive) her Season in London. Wonderful story and I also recommend the sequel, The Grand Tour.

Post Fire:

Eragon by Christopher Paolini--Excellent fantasy adventure. Amazing that it was written while he was fifteen (but so predictable that a successful home schooler could manage it). Brilliant story. I think the first three chapters are the weakest parts of the book, but it is such a terrific tale, that such a statement is barely a criticism. I will be reading the next book, but I'll wait for the paperback edition (so they match).

Redwall by Brian Jacques--I've always been curious about this series and this current blitz provided the opportunity to start with the first novel. Wonderful tale. It took me a short time to really enjoy it (I picked it up after I finished Eragon), but it was not long until I was entranced. I have read so much fantasy adventure that it was a teensy bit predictable, but I thought the story telling was beautiful. I'll need to keep reading the series. The trick is deciding which one should come next since the series does not appear to be entirely chronological.

The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue--my list so far should indicate that I probably read far too much of young adult fantasy genre. I generally dislike many of the "adult" books I find because they seem to try to pass off a weak story with a few salacious sex scenes as "literature." While amusing, I don't really find them all that entertaining. I could go on for pages about all the highly acclaimed novels that I just find dull and highly forgettable. I found the Mercy of Thin Air thanks to my most recent Chinaberry catalogue--their descriptions are fantastic because they are written by people who truly love books. I picked Mercy up at BN the other night (sorry Chinaberry--don't worry I'll be shopping with you as soon as this fire mess is resolved but for now I need some instant gratification).

Oh my heavenly stars what a wonderful book. It's a love story. It's a love of life story told by a ghost. It floats back and forth between the present and the past. It is tragic. It is hopeful. It is thoughtful. It is really very special. I want to re-read it soon.

I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony by Eion Colfer--yes back the the young adult fantasy genre but I just love this series so I can't help myself. I'm about halfway through it and it is excellent. And it's about time there was someone to provide Artemis with a bit of a challenge.

On the fire recovery front, we are in our fourth (and hopefully last) hotel. Our house is still out of commission, but we will hopefully find a temporary home in the near future.

One of my bosses complimented me on my fortitude or strong spirit or whatever. I don't feel strong. I just feel lucky. The only two things from the house that had any value sleep in the hotel room with me every night (they are the ones snoring). Everything else is replaceable. I'm okay with not knowing where my work clothes are. Or where my tennis shoes went. It's inconvenient, but not horrible.

We're doing okay, because we're together.

3 Comments:

At 9/20/2006 12:53 AM, Blogger Nicki said...

You're right about what's truely important, but I still hope your stitching stuff and everything else is OK. And thanks for the book reviews - I'll have to check them out :) {{{hugs}}}

 
At 9/20/2006 6:18 AM, Blogger jymisgurl said...

More hugs! You do have a wonderful attitude towards this. So many people would only dwell on what they lost or the inconveince, instead of be thankful for the important things!

 
At 9/20/2006 8:29 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

The only two things from the house that had any value

There were THREE things in that house that have value...so there. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home