Saturday, June 23, 2007

More stitching stuff

Here is the completed Angel Labrador Puppy I mentioned a few posts ago. This design was a freebie from The Vermillion Stitchery a few years ago and had been a UFO for a while. The freebie was actually a chocolate labrador but included a conversion for a black lab. I thought the conversion looked more like a grey lab so I added some DMC 310 since Tina's lab (Pepsi) is actually black. I'm still not sure I like it, but it looks nice on the scan. Oddly, one of the grey shades looks purplish in fluorescent lighting. I also chose not to stitch the bit connecting the halo to the dog. I want this to be a guardian angel for Tina, not a dog in a costume. I hope she likes it.

This is the cancer awareness freebie I'm working on as well. I think I 'll need to frog at least some of it. I tried researching the proper color ribbon for lymphoma. Some websites have it listed as lime, but another one states that this color is not recognized by the American Cancer Society (who knew it could be such a big controversy). Purple/lavender is used for general cancer awareness instead. So I started it with the purple and it looks nice. It even matches the labrador's gown. However, when my Dad came up for Angie's birthday party, he had a big lime green lymphoma awareness ribbon magnet on his car. So I've decided to go back to the lime color. I just wanted to post a picture of the purple because it looks so nice. I'm using Six Strand Sweets for this design and I have a nice lime color. I even have one that is both purple and green that I considered using. I think I'll stick with a solid color. I thought about frogging just the outer stitches and leave the inner work in purple. I don't know if if would look odd. I suppose I could do that and if I don't like it, I can just frog the center too.

In other stitching news, I am almost done with Ballet Pigs QS. I have roughly 300 stitches remaining. I tried to count them, but the best I could do was get over 100 before I became lost. It's mostly odd confetti stitches and missed stitches now. I'll need to go over it with a magnifier to be certain I've completed all the stitches. Maybe, just maybe, I can finish her by the end of June/beginning of July.

Finally, I received my sample of hand-dyed fibers by Vicki Clayton. As luck would have it, my set included blues, purples and deep reds--among my favorite shades. They are only half yard lengths so I'm not sure how I'll use them just yet, but I am curious since so many stitchers rave about them. Maybe I'll attempt a biscornu. Judy Odell was tempting us to try making one on her bulletin board, so maybe I'll give it a try.

That's all my stitching news for now. Obviously, I'm a bit more focused on Kian this month.

Labels: , ,


At 6/24/2007 11:37 AM, Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

Love our puppy finish. Lime green is an unusual color for cancer awareness, but I'm sure it will be pretty ;)

At 6/24/2007 2:11 PM, Anonymous Susan said...

Your stitching is lovely -I think the puppy finish is very cute! Can't wait to see your Ballet of Pigs finish!

At 6/27/2007 10:24 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Your puppy finish is a hoot!

I've been reading over your past entries, particularly those dealing with Kian, and I just want to send you some huge hugs!!!


Post a Comment

<< Home