Saturday, July 29, 2006

State of Emergency

Hmmm. I've never lived in a place that was declared to be in a state of emergency before. At least not that I can recollect.

An incredible number of storms rolled through here Thursday. It rained a bit down in downtown Cleveland where I work, but here it poured apparently. On the way home, a city truck in Willowick was parked over some standing water in the road to prevent people from driving through it. The rest of the way was fine, except that it was rainy.

When I arrived home, a stream was cascading down my driveway. I went inside and Chas said that it had been raining all day. I stood in our bedroom as he told me this and I heard heavily running water from inside the house. I put on my wading slippers and opened the door to the basement. Water was rushing down the slope under our basement stairs. I looked further at the frame of the entrance to the basement at the bottom of the steps: Water was spraying out both sides of the frame and gushing onto the basement floor. It was very pretty except that it was inside my home!

Chas and I have determined that the end of the world is starting here in Lake County with all the earthquakes and storms this year.

Fortunately our drain was not clogged because the water just formed a wading pool and then rolled into the drain. We have damage to personal items. I fear the box of books that was hit may be the one that contains my Lord of the Rings Trilogy and my Harry Potter Books. Or even the edition of Pilgrim's Progress with beautiful watercolor art plates.

Today we clean and I learn what books are lost.

2 Comments:

At 7/29/2006 2:44 PM, Blogger jymisgurl said...

Hope evrything's okay! ((((hugs))))

 
At 8/02/2006 9:59 PM, Blogger Holley said...

Thanks! We're all okay here and our property damage has been minimal.

Tomorrow (exactly one week after the first set of storms), we are expecting another series.

I'll confess I'm a wee bit nervous and I hope the drain in the basement can take another onslaught or that it won't be as bad as expected. We're still not entirely dry down there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home