Monday, July 17, 2006

Fruits of My Labor (or at least the Flowers Thereof)...

It looks like we will actually have blossoms on the Hydrangeas soon. I see the little flower buds cropping up. I can't wait to see what color they will be--it's a complete mystery since I don't know the PH level of our flower beds.

The wildflower garden is in full bloom. Still only the lone, pale butterfly, I don't know if he is the same one from last year, or perhaps a descendent.

The geraniums are blooming again: Nice bright pink blooms which look wonderful next to our little grey house in the shade of the maple trees.

The Dahlietas are dying. I think the humidity and the heat have really gotten to them. Or they are just waterlogged. Hard to tell.

We tore out lots of the creeping vincas from the front flower bed and took them to mom. She wants something to plant at the side of her house because she has a hard time mowing on that sharp, small slant. The vines will certainly take over that area in just a few seasons, and if they can grow in our fower beds, they can grow anywhere. She's going to watch Angie in about a month and we can give her more then.

The sprouts have struggled. I still need to plant the sweet peas but the marigolds have collapsed. I'll try again next year. Maybe I'll start the seedlings earlier in the spring next year. Can't hurt.

The Fuschia in the hanging basket is doing well. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep it alive. Still no hummingbirds in sight though. Drat. I saw a hummingbird or two at my brother's house. He said they have at least five. I suppose it's too much to ask that one little hummingbird find his or her way to our house?

My little hodge-podge garden is puttering along. I may put one or two more flowers in within the next month, for more color. I'd still like to find some portulacas.

2 Comments:

At 7/17/2006 10:29 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

You need a hummingbird feeder. I saw an actual real live hummingbird at mine just this evening (too dark to take a picture, darn it).

 
At 7/17/2006 11:20 PM, Blogger Holley said...

Oooh. I good for you!

Chas doesn't want a hummingbird feeder. I'm not actually sure where we could hang one anyway.

He doesn't want a bird feeder of any kind actually.

What I really need to do is take a picture of the flowers. Especially the fuschia--it's gorgeous. I loved hot pink and purple as a kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home