Sunday, October 15, 2006

Another Fire Casualty, a Dilemma and Another Book

I am supposed to stitch Angie's Halloween costume this year. She wants to be a Power Puff Girl. Not Blossom, Bubbles or Buttercup, but Angie the Power Puff Girl and her costume shall be orange (the current favorite color). It should be reasonably easy--black shoes, white tights and an orange and black striped jumper.

However, the good sewing machine is completely history. It was in the basement, near the dehumidifier. That should be all you need to know. I saw it today--not a pretty sight.

The other sewing machine doesn't stitch as well, but I do use it. It was in Angie's closet and the door was closed. Smoke and soot still entered the closet so I had to clean it today. Unfortunately, we can't find the manual. It was not near the sewing machine. It was not anywhere in the house. I couldn't check the garage because it has most of the debris from the basement (ewwwww). It isn't in the storage unit.

I know from experience that if I don't have the machine on the correct settings, the thread will break. I think I remember them. I think I can wing winding bobbins (had to buy new ones because my bobbins are also mia). I'd just feel better if I could find the manual. I've looked on line. No luck. It is a New Home JA 1506 so if anyone can tell me the correct settings for straight and overcast stitches I'd be grateful. If not I'll just fake it.

And did I mention that I have to have the costume ready by Thursday night? Yikes!

Now for the dilemma. I have not stitched on any of my wips since the night before the fire. I was tempted at the sight of the new Chatelaine Tiny Mandala in the Gift of Stitching this month. I was tempted when I saw Nicki's TW Round Robin. I was tempted enough to grab my JG stitching bag when I saw the finished, framed JG by Black Fabric Mistress. But I still haven't started anything yet.

The HAED BB is having a New Start SAL this coming weekend, and I'm sorely tempted to join in the fun(I am a serial starter after all). I think DH would tell me that I should actually finish something before starting something new. If I do join the SAL, I have narrowed my choices down to two charts:

Selena Fenech's Motherhood QS (which is only the mom and baby and just a hint of tail--you can see it near the bottom on page 3 of the Quick Stitches at HAED)

Or

Bedtime Stories by Sara Butcher

I also thought about Our Angel, but I think I've ruled her out for now.

I love Bedtime Stories and would really love to start it now. But it's huge, has lots of colors and I'm not sure I have a piece of clean fabric big enough for it at the moment. I haven't really looked at my stash since the fire.

Motherhood is small (it's the smallest HAED currently in my possession which I have not yet started), has a few colors and I think I can find a piece of fabric to fit it. I'm just not sure I want to stitch it.

Additionally, I haven't seen anyone stitching Bedtime Stories while Motherhood is an extremely popular design.

I posted a poll at HAED so either leave a comment with your opinion or post one at the bb (or both if you feel strongly).

Finally, I finished The Constant Princess. It was excellent. I was surprised at how interesting it was. I have to admit that I'm a little cynical about really popular authors so I didn't have high expectations for the novel. I was pleased. If you like Tudor England, a bit of history, a bit of love (not romance mind you), and a bit of politics, I would recommend this book. It is about Katherine of Aragon's arrival in England and her eventual marriage to Henry the VIII. I'm not sure what I'll pick up next. The bookstore in the local mall closed this weekend (it's lease was purchased) and so everything was half off. Very dangerous situation for me. I purchased a few items. ;o)

Maybe next time I post I'll have a completed costume or some stitching to show.

2 Comments:

At 10/15/2006 10:27 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

I can't imagine what it must be like to still have everything is such a mess with soot and stuff everywhere. {hugs}

And I feel strongly that you should start Bedtime Stories if you can! It's got such beautiful colours - it would surely be a good pick me up. Motherhood has been done so much and if you're not that sure about it... well, just too much work :)

 
At 10/16/2006 10:50 AM, Blogger jymisgurl said...

lol! Tobi wanted to himself for Halloween too! He's going to be Tobi: the boy who lived!
I love both HAEDs! I like Motherhood better, but the fullsized version. I don't care for the QS as much. If you want to start Bedtimes Stories, then do it! You've been through so much, you deserve to do something just because you want to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home