Monday, August 07, 2006

Sometimes...

On my job, sometimes I make people cry.

Sometimes they are happy tears.

Sometimes they are tears of heartbreak and fear.

I had both today. By the end I was quite ready to cry with them. But I can't.

It tears me up inside when I see the sad tears, but often there is nothing I can do other than attempt some compassion. And when I do, they don't recognize the compassion or the message. They just feel the pain, and there is little I can do to alleviate it. They just think I'm unfair.

It's hard to be the tough one sometimes, even when it is the right way to be. It's hard to stick with the rules and statutes and what is required when you just want to give them a hug. I've had to be tough on people who thought they were doing the right thing, or trusted someone else to do it, and it's all gone wrong. I do the best I can and hope that it will turn out right in the end, no matter how bumpy the current situation seems to be.

I think people look at the work we do, and think how easy it is. It isn't. People think that anyone could do it. Maybe, but most people don't want to. It's draining. It can be rewarding but it is very difficult work to deal with fragmented lives and try to make the best of it. I love my job. Maybe I just sometimes wish there weren't so much of it.

5 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 9:45 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

I do not envy your position. {{{hugs}}}

 
At 8/07/2006 10:21 PM, Blogger Karin said...

I'm always eternally grateful that there are people willing to be in health care - it's not something that I think I could do, and I'm always in awe of those who are able to help those when they need it.

 
At 8/07/2006 11:42 PM, Blogger Holley said...

Oh Karin,

Thanks for your kind words, but I must have given you the wrong impression. I am not in the health care field. I apologize for any confusion I accidentally caused.

I deal with families in varying stages of crisis primarily through custody and visitation issues. There are few issues that really cut to the heart of people than, who will have custody of their precious child and how often they will or will not be able to see them.

Attorneys tell me that I am like one big counseling session for the family.

 
At 8/07/2006 11:43 PM, Blogger Holley said...

Cathy,

Thanks for your support. It always means so much to me my friend.

Hugs.

 
At 8/08/2006 9:55 AM, Blogger jymisgurl said...

((((hugs)))) I agree Catherine; I can't say I'd want to be in your shoes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home