Sunday, August 16, 2009

It happened again

We came home late from a star party at a local metropark. We plopped the exhausted kids in bed and began to watch something from the DVR. I was a little dozy so I stretched out on the couch.

I was certain I smelled something not quite right, but Chas brushed aside my concerns.

I went to check on Kian, who was fussing in his sleep.

The smell became stronger and stronger and I was certain I was not imagining that smell which was clinging in the back of my nose and throat, acrid and slightly burnt.

When I came back out of the bedroom Chas said, "You were right."

"What?"

"About the smell."

The dehumidifier burnt itself out. Thankfully, this time, the circuit breaker popped and shut off the power to the unit. No smoke or soot flowing through the house. Just a terrible burnt electronics and metal smell that lasted a good bit of the night. No longer sleepy, my adrenaline was rushing, so I managed to finish this lovely piece after viewing the damage (one dehumidifier, hot to the touch, with a few scorch marks).

It is by the Sampler Girl and is done with none of the suggested threads on a piece of Pussywillow Lugana by the gone and sorely missed Sugar Maple Fabrics. I love this fabric and so very much wish I had much much more of it. It is a perfect neutral fabric and is simply beautiful. My plan is to frame it for our new home. Hope should be a theme for everyone, but it definitely is one for our family.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8/16/2009 9:36 PM, Blogger Daffycat said...

SCARY! I'm so glad nothing caught fire!

Darling stitching!

 
At 8/18/2009 1:05 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

So glad everything is ok. Maybe it's time to stop using dehumidifiers? Just a thought.

Still have my fingers crossed about the house.

(my word verification is moper...the antithesis of your post...weird)

 
At 8/24/2009 5:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank god nothing got fire...
I love your blogs and i often vistis your blogs..... thanks for sharing your

post with us......
--
Venus
Wireless Home Alarm Security

Systems

 

Post a Comment

<< Home