Tuesday, December 26, 2006

UFO No Longer

Yup, I finished Springtime Roses! The stitching was completed on Christmas Eve, but the beading had to wait until today when we returned home.



Just some thoughts:

1. I think that Mill Hill beads are too large for such a dainty piece. If you are thinking about stitching this I would suggest you use Delicas instead. I would recommend using Delica #502 Spectrum Gold for the Mill Hill 557 because it has lovely gold and pink beads which would work perfectly with the Waterlilies #088 Mountain Meadow. Use Delica #670 Crystal AB Silk Satin or Delica #051 Crystal AB for the Mill Hill #161.

I am so happy that I'm in the bead collectors club at European Cross Stitch because I really am starting to hate Mill Hills. Martina has really spoiled me by introducing me to Delicas.

2. If you opt to use Mill Hills for this design, I would suggest laying the beads at an angle, with all the beads "pointing" towards the center. I'm satisfied with my finished product, but if I were to stitch this again with the MH, I would work harder at angling my beads. I tried to stitch them on the diagonal at first, gave up and stitched them with a full cross. I think the MH would look great if placed diagonally though--I was just too eager and too impatient to finish this one.

3. For anyone using Raw Belfast Linen, I would recommend using DMC #3782 to attach beads if you don't use something else. I spent some quality time in the DMC section of Pat Catan's determining the closest color to this fabric. In all lights, #3782 is the best match.

4. Rather than gilding my dragonfly, I used Rainbow Gallery Petite Treasure Braid #17 Water Blue for the body and in outlining the wings. Instead of an Algerian Eyelet in the Body, I used a Rhodes Stitch.

Some basic stats:
Started May 2005.
On the UFO list for ages.
Finished December 2006--no comments from the husband please!
Stitched on 32 count Zweigart Raw Belfast Linen using all the recommended fibers and beads with the addition of the Water Blue as mentioned above.

Now, on to more stitching!

5 Comments:

At 12/27/2006 8:41 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Wonderful finish! It's beautiful. Congrats and happy New Year!

 
At 12/27/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

It is stunning!! You did a lovely job with it.

 
At 12/27/2006 11:04 AM, Blogger jymisgurl said...

Congrats! It's beautiful!

 
At 12/27/2006 4:41 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

It's SOOOOO pretty! Well done and Congratulations!

 
At 12/29/2006 4:42 AM, Blogger Jacqui said...

It looks beautiful, congratulations on the finish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home