Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Lots of Shopping and the Last desperate Act of Parents to Be.

We left for my in-laws straight after work. No stitching time in the car because it was too dark, but I did manage to organize my chart for the SAL. I put in a few stitches Friday night once we arrived just to feel good about myself.

It was a nice visit. Angie was very clingy with all the relatives around on Saturday. To the point that I was again considering whether she needs play therapy or something. She did enjoy her presents (because they did not feel they had purchased enough prior to the holidays). Only a few uncomfortable family moments, so it was a better trip than in September.

On Sunday we shopped at the outlets and for the first time bought some baby clothes--all in yellow, green and orange. So neutral it drove the relatives crazy. And as hubby and I waive the white flag on the baby's name, we purchased a baby book. Something we had avoided so far because it seems like such a waste to spend money on something we'll use just this once. But the book appealed to me more than any other of it's genre as I sat on the floor whilst Angie bounded around picking all the books she wanted. Why? Because in the front section of the book, it is divided into the typical categories such as Names from Ireland, Italian Names, Names from the Netherlands and that section is followed by fun lists for names from your area of interests. Glory be. One of the subsections is entitled: "Names of the Future: For Science Fiction Fans." Throughout the book, name definitions and descriptions make reference to pop culture, music and sci fi.

The down side:
Hubby has informed me that if he can't have a child name either Zaphod or Trillian, I cannot name our child Crichton or Moya (or Aeryn for that matter). I don't know why he's being so fussy. It isn't like I'm going for Delenn or G'Kar (I did push for Marcus and Steven when Angie's gender was still unknown though).

Still, I think I have found the name book for us. We've already discovered a few good contenders over the weekend.

Stitching-wise, I did well with the SAL. I completed 12 ten by ten squares and have stitches in another 15. I don't know when I will be able to pick it up again since JG is calling me, but maybe I'll put a few more in by the end of the month. On the way home yesterday, I worked on the Snow Crystal because it was too grey outside to attempt over one stitching in the car. Chances are good that I can finish it this month and have one wip knocked out this month (is it too much to ask that I slay a wip a month? Probably). I came home to discover that several stitchers at the Christmas SAL blog had jumped ahead (due to scheduling issues) and stitched some ornaments. Beautiful work and they are making me anxious to work on some ornaments immediately. I comforted myself with finding more ornaments to stitch. Only two more weeks until I allow myself to make some ornaments.

We also bought a sofa bed at IKEA. Trying out the various sofas must have been a hoot to see: I'd plop down. Say yes or no almost immediately, then struggle to get out of the sofa even with Chas's help. We found one and I'm pleased because we splurged on the dark lilac cover.

It was too big to bring home in the gift-laden car yesterday. Chas and Angie were to return to Pittsburgh today to pick it up, but for we had a genuine snow storm today. He turned back after going roughly 29 miles on the highway. It was a relief to me--I would have worried about them all day.

Today has been kind of an off-kilter day. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1/16/2007 10:00 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Glad you doing well and that the time with family wasn't too awkward. I just love all things baby! I think you should post pics of the clothes you got!

 
At 1/17/2007 6:35 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

Crossing fingers you get some names soon :) Personally I think Delenn would be great! ;) Maybe Susan instead - nice and safe but still a B5 name!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home