Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Frustrated and emotionally drained.

Rough, rough day.

Only two cases, but one was a doozy. Think of the worst things you could imagine for a kid and the most inappropriate parents possible, then think of more horrible things just short of actual abuse, and you have the toddler girl I dealt with today.

I was okay, until I found out that the child protective agency in the area was involved with this family and did nothing. The agency was willing to let me just grant custody to one of the incredibly, unbelievably awful parents. I was furious then.

I saw the girl, because she was brought to court on my order to place her with a more stable relative. Dirty did not even begin to describe adequately the child's condition. She was wheezing and the mask for her nebulizer was saturated with smoke so that we couldn't even give her a treatment.

And she had big beautiful blue eyes and pale blonde (matted) hair.

And I knew a family to whom she should belong, with a house and horses and room for another child (at least physically, if not emotionally). A family who has had far more sorrow and loss than anyone should have in such a short time. And she would have a big brother who looks similar to her and parents who are wonderful. But I cannot wiggle my fingers and make the world better for either this child or that family.

The GAL told me today that as bad as it was, and as horrible as it could have be, yesterday we saved a child. I'm glad, but I wish I could protect her even more.

I could just cry.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 3/22/2007 8:05 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

{{{{HUGS}}}} I wish I could take them all home and love them and protect them from all the bad things they've already endured. It's so heart breaking.

 
At 3/22/2007 8:32 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

You do good work...and you have a good heart...and I love you.

 
At 3/23/2007 8:57 AM, Blogger jymisgurl said...

BIG HUGS! It never fails to amaze me that people can be so horrible to a child!

 
At 3/23/2007 5:08 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

{{{hugs}}} You've done what you can and it'll make a big difference to her, even if you know it could be even better. I couldn't do your job - I'd be an emmotional wreck. It's such a great thing you do.

 
At 4/05/2007 10:45 PM, Blogger Stitcher S said...

I'm came upon your blog through your post over at The Wagon, and just read this now.

HUGS to you for the work you do! As a teacher I know how it is to see children who have parents who just don't care, but what you have to see goes beyond my worst imagination.

You make a huge difference!

I too wish I could take home many of my students, and give them the home they deserve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home