Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Baby Info and Other Things

We have told all the family at this point. At least I'm assuming that my mom couldn't contain herself and told my brothers.

It appears that we are having a boy, unless, as I told a friend, that was the umbilical cord we saw at the ultrasound in December. The professionals seemed certain that it was a boy, and I do think the 3D ultrasound looks like a boy, so it is probably a boy. Let me tell you, it was far easier to see Angie's gender at the ultrasound than it was for this little boy. If we are all wrong, Chas and I will be in trouble as we have only selected a name for a boy.

Thanks to everyone with suggestions. I will actually post them all at the website just so that you can see how many names were proposed. In the end we have settled on:

Kian Derek

Kian is pronounced: Key-en. The emphasis is on the first syllable.I have received one positive response from a non-relative (the lady who works with me at Court), while the other mommies at Gymboree were politely underwhelmed ("Oh"). Both names actually stuck for a little more than a month, which is longer than anything else did. Both names are not in the top 100 at the SSA, which is important to us because it can be tedious to be share names with seven other kids in the same class. The names fit my syllable rule for our baby names (same number of syllables in the first two names as in the last two). I also love the meanings of the names and how they work together: Kian means "enduring" and Derek is a "wise ruler/leader." I'm a little disappointed that I won't have a great story to tell Kian about the person for whom he is named, unlike Angie. At best I will simply say, "Because Mommy didn't want to name you Zaphod." However, Chas, his Dad and Uncle Rick have all indicated they will still call this child "Zaphod" anyway. Sigh.

In other news, Angie is sick. As in woke me at 1:30 this morning with fever of roughly 104 sick. She and I were up for a while and finally returned to sleep at 4:00 a.m. only to re-awaken at 7:30 a.m. She has been napping off and on all day. She is very chipper for being sick and her temperature has been down a few degrees (102 give or take a degree depending on the time) most of the day. We're just keeping her hydrated as much as possible and watching her carefully. The Doctor's Office said this is going around. Lucky us.

I'm feeling a bit unwell myself, but since I think I forgot to take some of my asthma medication last night, it's no surprise that I'm feeling poorly.

Obviously I've switched to the new blogger, but playing with it will have to wait until we're all healthy again.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3/04/2007 9:30 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

I love it! Kian that is :)

 
At 3/05/2007 10:07 AM, Blogger jymisgurl said...

Congratulations! I love the name! It's hard to find unusal boy names (don't I know). Glad you found something you like! Hope y'all feel better soon!

 
At 3/06/2007 9:31 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

hehehe...that is going to be one confused child.

It is a lovely name...Kian Derek...not Zaphod. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home