Saturday, October 27, 2007

My Very Own Food Pyramid

Created just for me. Neato (thanks to Tanya at the Motherwear Breastfeeding Blog). I'm struggling to get the pdf version to appear, but I'll just keep trying.

I don't post much about breastfeeding because this is primarily a stitching blog, and that is what most people come here to read.

However, breastfeeding has been one of the most enjoyable and profound experiences for me as a person. In my younger days, I thought it was yucky and I assumed I would feed any children I might have with formula. There were no nursing moms among my family or acquaintances when I was young. My first nephew nursed for a bit then his mom added in formula. My other sister in law breastfed her children and I suppose that is when the idea really took root in my mind.

When I became pregnant with Angie, I researched breastfeeding carefully and learned about all the health benefits for moms and babies. I took two breastfeeding classes while pregnant and decided to give breastfeeding a good try based on economic and health reasons. I hoped to manage two years, but decided not to put myself, as a first time mom, under too much pressure.

Angie and I had our struggles early on, but we persisted and I found the experience to be emotionally satisfying in addition to all the other benefits. Kian got the hang of breastfeeding immediately. I don't know how long we'll manage to breastfeed, but so far, we're doing well.

Like his sister, Kian has a milk protein intolerance so dairy products are out of my diet for the present. I wish there was more information about why this happens and when it goes away. I guess not much effort is put into studying this problem because it is assumed that moms stop nursing when the baby is age one (if not sooner--lots have people have suggested that we put him on formula).

Still, I am pleased to have my very own food pyramid. Unfortunately I can't do dairy and it offers no substitutes. It is very hard to find food without milk protein these days. My diet is probably the healthiest ever, but I'd love more information about ensuring I'm consuming enough calcium. Maybe with time, the site will allow more factors to be considered when creating a personalized pyramid.

My pyramid also recommends three and a half ounces of whole grains each day. I guess I need to get more multi-grain bagels instead of my strawberry pop-tarts (which contain no dairy).

Oh well--it is totally worth it.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10/29/2007 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Holley - I am glad you posted about breastfeeding - it is a very important topic. See this for food sources of calcium:
http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile68e.stm#hf003

Hugs,
Ginger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home