Saturday, December 30, 2006

Grape Thread Keeper Book: Stitching Completed

It is done. I finished part 7 around 10:00 p.m. last night, and finished part 8 around 10:00 p.m. tonight!

I can't tell you how good it feels. I only need to add the grape jewelry to the front and then assemble the book and I will have completed the entire class.

Here is the inside of the book:



Here is the fob:



You can see the cover to the needlebook here and the book cover here.

Some basic stats as per usual:

1. The purple fabric is a happy accident actually. I ordered what I thought was the correct Wisteria Fabric (Lakeside Linens). Instead, I actually ordered R & R Reproductions Heirloom Wisteria. I'm thrilled with it. It has greenish vines dyed in the fabric as well. Unfortunately, my LNS told me the color was being discontinued. For beading on the purple, I alternated between the DMC #3743 and #3042 depending on the shade of bead being used.

2. The lighter fabric is the Little Boy Blue/Pastel Blue recommended by Martina and obtained in the kit from ECC. I don't like cream (too yellowy for my tastes) so when the time came for me to stitch the inside of the book, I used the piece that should have been the cover instead. I just love how the DMC looks for the year. I think the blue of the fabric sets it off nicely. I used DMC #341 to attach beads on the blue fabric. I think another good choice would have been DMC #3753.

3. I used three strands of the Golden Grains rhodes stitches. I was timid at first, but it is just as easy as working with two strands and the results are full and spectacular.

4. I used selected pieces Bark Wildflowers instead of Copper. I also came to loathe the sheaf stitch. Hopefully it is easier using the silks because I'm certain that stitch is used in both JG and Taj.

5. The chart seemed to be missing something in each of the corners of the book cover. I don't have a photo yet, but I just used the same color beads as found in the corners of the fob and needlebook cover. Other thoughts would be to just pick your favorite bead from the kit and use it. Or you could use the SNC #004 The Lavenders with some special stitch. It could be a mini Rhodes, or an Eyelet or a Plaited Cross stitch or even a Smyrna Cross. You could pick you favorite stitch to make it more personal. Mine would be the Plaited Cross (which Martina never seems to use--sigh).

Love the design, love the colors, love my accidentally selected fabric. Happy, happy, happy dance.

Now I just need to assemble the dern thing!

4 Comments:

At 12/31/2006 12:51 AM, Blogger cathymk said...

Good one Holley!! Looks absolutely fantastic!
Did you get the finishing kit from Judy? I find it hidious finding all the bits over here in Australia so her kit was a godsend for me.
Happy New Year!!!

 
At 12/31/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Wonderful stitching! Really, really lovely.

 
At 12/31/2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

Gorgeous Holley! Big Happy dance!

 
At 1/01/2007 6:06 PM, Blogger Holley said...

I did not get the finishing kit unfortunately. It was available at roughly the same time as the house fire. I didn't have stuff together and wasn't stitching for at least the first month afterwards.

So I'll just be fumbling around trying to find stuff. But since I am using slightly different fabric, it's probably for the best because I can take the stitched pieces to a fabric store to find a silk that goes nicely with both of them.

I managed to order the finishing instructions just before time ran out thank goodness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home