Thursday, January 25, 2007

I Blame--errr--Give Full Credit to Dana

She asked for opinions regarding her new yuku profile and so I took a peek. There I found the video for "Crazy" by Icehouse. I loved Icehouse in College. I had a very nifty Icehouse poster which was lost in the soot damage from the fire. I didn't know that you could find old music videos on You Tube. (I am so completely behind the times). I thought You Tube was just a place for creative types to post their mini movies (I've seen several Firefly fan things there) and maybe catch old clips of tv shows (Hubby had me watch William Shatner singing "Rocket Man" by Elton John once), or maybe some recent sport clips (hubby uses it all the time for his sports blog). So I started thinking maybe I could find videos of some of my favorite bands from younger days.

On a whim, I looked for a favorite 80's band from Australia. This is what I found (warning: not for the faint of heart because this video, the hair the clothes and the dancing are wholly 80's):



I loved Kids in the Kitchen. I think they only released one album in the U.S. (at least that is all I could ever find here). The single released was "Stand" but I couldn't find the video for it. This was a great album and I used to bop around my apartment to my little cassette tape. Unfortunately, all tapes were casualties of the fire so I no longer have it. I might be able to order it from Australia, I'll just have to do a little digging on the internet. I know that there were a few albums or mini albums released in Australia. Finding and listening to the videos put me in such a good mood last night after my rotten day that I think I have to find the albums. Angie even liked it and she danced around the office with me.

Then as I was driving home tonight, I thought I would check to see if any King Crimson songs were posted at You Tube on the off chance that I could find that song I mentioned a few months ago (haven't gotten it out of my head--persistent little thing). I did!

The song is called "Red" (don't I feel silly for not remembering). Again with the warning: I love this song because, for me, it just kind of soars but I recognize King Crimson isn't for everyone--they use dissonance in their compositions. I loved this video because it was by a fan who just pulled images of and from various pieces of art and set them to the music.



I couldn't find a video for "Book of Saturday," one of my favorites because it is so simple and very short for a King Crimson song. It's also from the John Wetton era and I love his vocals. The first album, "In the Court of the Crimson King" is stylistically entirely different from "Red." If you've ever read any epic fantasy fiction (LOTR, Dragonlance, etc), their early music feels like it is a perfect accompaniment to the books (especially "Epitaph"). And yes, I used to dance around my apartment to King Crimson too.

I could be in big trouble now that I've found You Tube.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1/26/2007 1:17 AM, Blogger Nicki said...

You can find anything on the internet! DH is always watching clips from concerts from the 70s and 80s - I'll ask him if there's a site in particular he uses :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home